Sunday, December 5, 2010

Step One




“We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.”

Spiritual principle: Honesty

The most compelling truth of Step One is that I cannot find recovery from something I cannot acknowledge. I need to bring my powerlessness out from the murky damp depths of my shame-box and into the light of day. Truth, surrender, letting go. Yes, it can be frightening, but this fear is indicative of how healing this step is when taken honestly and thoroughly. 

To get on the path of recovery I needed to take Step One on my own; I didn’t understand this consciously at the time, but this meant that no matter how many times my girlfriend-at-the-moment told me I was a hopeless drunk (begging the question what she was doing with me in the first place) and no matter how many friends and family members expressed their concern regarding the relative shambles my life was in, I was the only one who could make the vital and humbling admission called for in this step. 

Through practice I eventually found out that I would get as much help as I ask for with the other eleven steps — from the fellowship of AA, a sponsor and honest sober friends — but this first step has to be taken solo. I do this by admitting — which is saying, believing and accepting the responsibility that comes with such an ego-deflating statement — that I am powerless over my alcoholism and that my life has become unmanageable.

The Big Book says our drinking was only a symbol of an underlying problem. The 12&12 tells us the root problem is self-centeredness and selfishness, but to an alcoholic on the cusp of recovery, such self-evident truths are not always so simple or apparent. An double-edged admission of both powerlessness and unmanageability is psychically excruciating — it goes against everything we have been telling ourselves over and over and over ad nauseum for years. The unmanageability is often self-evident; for many of us the bleak reality of a life in shambles and the mounting wreckage that is sharply evident in those vital moments of clarity can often pierce even the densest denial. But powerlessness? Do I truly understand what it means to be powerless in the face of alcohol? Because I need to understand, believe, and accept this stark fact with every faculty that is operating (and in early recovery sometimes this is not much). But if I want to stay sober and experientially understand the meaning of serenity, one thing is certain: I have to understand Step One at a cellular level. This means letting go of the rim of the toilet bowl I've been living in and allow myself to be flushed down, through the aperture of honesty, into the vast unknown. What makes this step so difficult and unapproachable for some is the ignorance of what comes after such an admission.

What does it mean to admit powerlessness, other than to admit that on my own, I am lost. Left to my own devices I have repeatedly proven to be hopeless in the face of alcohol. I lacked power, and because of this lack and my unwillingness or inability to accept it (through denial, rationalization and justification) for all the years of my drinking, I left a wide swath of damage in my wake. It’s clear to me now that I could not open myself up to the strength and beauty that is available to me, that lives in and through me, until I could admit that I was defeated and I needed help.

But that admission is just the beginning. The most effective way for me to understand step one was to burn my powerlessness and unmanageability into my consciousness. Because I had reached a place where I was willing to do whatever was suggested, when I was told to write down ten consequences of my drinking, I drafted an honest list of 10 examples of times that drinking alcohol impacted my emotional, mental, social, interpersonal, physical, medical, financial, legal and/or spiritual well-being. I was also asked to write down a list of 10 crazy things I had done, and the lengths I had gone to, for alcohol. Ten examples weren’t difficult to come by, so that list was rather quick. Then I shared these lists with somebody I trusted. It needed to be witnessed, a vital part of the spiritual nature of this program. 

Next I was told I had to learn deeply what tells me my life had become unmanageable. I needed to examine dangerous behaviours that I had engaged in through my abuse of alcohol, which included such things as driving drunk, having unprotected sex, and drinking to the point of alcohol poisoning on many occasions. After I came up with the most obvious examples on my own, I was encouraged to provide even subtler examples of how I had engaged in or experienced any of the following: lack of concentration while driving/working/child minding, seeking or abusing prescription medication, self-medicating, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts.

I was by now ready to admit my life was unmanageable, but apparently I wasn’t done learning about the extent of it, because next I had to survey the effects of my alcoholism on social life, specifically how it affected my relationships, my reputation, my popularity and my contact with friends, family and extended family. 

“Okay, I know I am powerless and my life is unmanageable,” I said. “Not yet,” I was told. For instance, what were the financial, legal, and workplace implications of my drinking behaviours? Have I incurred fines, legal expenses due to my alcoholism/addiction? Have there been effects to my overall personal economy? Has there been a cost to others, through stealing, borrowing, damage to property, or other injury? Have I become materialistic? Have I had issues with drug dealing, drunk driving, theft, fraud, assault, imprisonment or any other legal ramifications from my behaviour? How would others in my place of work describe me? How have I coped with responsibility, performance and reliability on the job?

After all this examination, I was feeling pretty beat. I was so clearly rudderless, so lost and out of control, that the desolate terrain of my own life started to seem oppressive. My powerlessness and unmanageability became an emergency. It was softening the soil of my own mental landscape to make way for the awareness of the spiritual ramifications of my alcoholism. I had to weigh my awareness, my peace of mind, and face the incessant feelings of guilt and shame. I saw how I couldn’t love or care for myself or others, I couldn’t trust myself or others, and I couldn’t value my life and set goals. I witnessed, with more shame, how I had become increasingly selfish and less caring. I was completely out of alignment with the most basic spiritual principles.

A thousand mile journey starts with the first step. We can't move forward without this step. The healing begins with this ego-deflating admission. Nobody can force me to take Step One. Nobody can stop me from taking Step One. This step requires an ongoing awareness. As the oldtimers say: nothing changes if nothing changes. My inability to manage my own life on my own resources, once clear, prepares me deeply for what comes next in Step Two.

An ongoing, daily awareness of Step One is required in my program.  If I meditate on it, I can feel my alcoholism physically residing within me; it's difficult to describe, like shadows lurking in my own cells. My alcoholism to me can be-—at times of low spiritual connection—a theoretical abstraction. But then I remember I knew at one time that my powerlessness and unmanageability were absolutely true, and with some work I can sense its absoluteness. Sometimes it is as if from a distance, an image I see when I look up from my busy day. 

Alternately, when I make even the smallest effort toward self-honesty and what I consider to be prayer, my alcoholism is a sharply defined physical and mental fact, an integral facet of my experience from one moment to the next. I remember that point of no return, the place where the world seemed to drop out from under my feet and alcohol could no longer help the feelings I needed to avoidwhere I stared at a bottle of wine I'd pulled from my knapsack and I was so bone tired I just wanted to flop on my cousin's couch and sleep forever; it was with a mixture of incredulity and horror and panic that I realized no matter how tired I was, I would not be going to bed until that wine was gone. I was alone and knew I didn't want to drink it, really, but that I would not be able to help myself. At that point, and when I think about that point, that's where all the other moments--of disappointing myself and others with broken promises and regret and wasted effort and good (but weak) intentions--that's where all the moments seem to gather. Yes. I am convinced I am powerless over alcohol today.

No, I do not have lingering doubts as to whether I am an alcoholic - today. Nor do I have any doubts about my powerlessness over alcohol. I know that one drink, even one sip, could lead me into oblivion, that all bets would be off, there would be no controlling or imagining what would come after, but I know that I would be getting my passport to the land of shame and remorse back very quickly.

I have proven to myself numerous times that I cannot manage my own life on my own resources; I am routinely — consciously or unconsciously — trying to manage all of my affairs, with my proverbial hands on all the levers: work, home, relationships, expectations. It's uncomfortable and exhausting, and when I lose my connection to this vital awareness of Step One, the wheels start coming off the cart pretty rapidly. Yet the converse is true, as well. When my life starts getting unmanageable again, I can always come back to the spiritual bedrock of Step One with an honest heart, and make a new beginning at this amazing spiritual program. 

9 comments:

  1. “All of the Twelve Steps ask us to go contrary to our natural desires…they all deflate our ego.” 12&12, p.55

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion 1: Part A. read pp. xxiii-43 in the Big Book or basic text of AA, as well as pp 15-24 in the 12& 12 before bed. Then read it upon waking in the morning. That night, read it a second time before going to bed.

    Part B. The next morning, draw out a timeline of your life story of everything you can remember, specifically anything that was less than nurturing, that happened to you between the ages of 0-18. That same day, share your story with a trusted member of your fellowship, with a clergy member if you are involved in an organized religion, or (preferably) with your sponsor. Focus on how you felt at the time of each event or incident, and how you feel about it now. Carry your story through as you tell it to present day, including the onset of alcohol and/or drug use, a brief history of your usage, the particulars of the last time you drank or used and why you are now seeking help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suggestion 2: Ten consequences. Draft a list of 10 examples of times that drinking alcohol or using drugs impacted your emotional, mental, social, interpersonal, physical, medical, financial, legal and/or spiritual well-being. Share this list with your sponsor or a trusted member of your fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggestion 3: Learning what tells me I am POWERLESS.

    A. Thinking about drinking or drug use. This is called preoccupation. Can I recall examples of day dreaming, planning, scheming about how, when where, how much, etc., addiction talk I have engaged in, or examples of times when the next drink or drug was heavy on my mind when I should have been aware of what I was doing (such as driving, minding children, working).

    B. Attempting to control my drinking or drug use. How many times have I tried to quit? How have I tried to control, change or limit my drinking or drug use? How many times was I dishonest with myself or with others about my alcohol/drug use?

    C. My behaviour while drinking/using. What are some examples of times that my plans changed due to drinking/using? What are some examples of how I lose control of my behaviour while drinking or using? How have I denied that I have a problem? Did I engage in violence or verbal and/or emotional abuse? Did I have violent or hateful thoughts about myself? Do I justify my behaviour by blaming others? Who? Have I ever told myself that I am not hurting anyone else? Do I still believe that? What lengths have I gone to to procure alcohol or drugs?

    D. Effects on my body. Examples of how I have engaged in or experienced any of the following: self mutilation / self abuse, physical problems, difficulties concentrating, illness, memory problems, dietary problems, exhaustion, mood swings, other health problems, accidents, depression, anxiety, panic attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suggestion 4: Learning what tells me my life has become UNMANAGEABLE.

    A. Dangerous behaviours. Examples of how I have engaged in or experienced any of the following: lack of concentration while driving/working/child minding, seeking or abusing prescription medication, self-medicating, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts.

    B. Effects on social life. How has my addiction affected my relationships, my reputation, my popularity and my contact with friends, family and extended family?

    C. Financial implications. Have I incurred fines, legal expenses due to my alcoholism/addiction? Have there been effects to my overall personal economy? Has there been a cost to others, through stealing, borrowing, damage to property, or other injury? Have I become materialistic?

    D. Legal implications. Have I had issues with drug dealing, drunk driving, theft, fraud, assault, imprisonment or any other legal ramifications from my behaviour?

    E. Work problems. How would others in my place of work describe me? How have I coped with responsibility, performance and reliability on the job?

    F. Spiritual ramifications. How is my awareness? My peace of mind? Can I live with myself or am I beset by feelings of guilt and shame? Can I love myself and others, trust myself and others, to value my life and to set goals? Have I become less caring, more selfish? Have I given up on myself and others? Am I out of alignment with spiritual principles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thousand mile journey starts with the first step. We can't move forward without this step. The healing begins with this ego-deflating admission.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Inner child lives on; the inner child is not a myth. If I do not become cognizant of my inner child's pain and suffering, and awaken to the reality that it is ultimately this suffering of the inner child that has led me to recovery, I am continuing to live in ignorance. My decisions are blind, made in my sleep. I can be asleep in recovery, only dreaming of being awake. I have come to recovery because my coping mechanisms were failing me; they no longer worked. I need to find a new solution. I do not have the power to solve this suffering and my sometimes impenetrable ignorance on my own.

    The most compelling truth of Step One is that I cannot find recovery from something I cannot acknowledge. I need to bring my powerlessness out from the murky damp depths of my shame-box and into the light of day. Truth, surrender, letting go. So frightening, but just as healing.

    Nobody can force me to take Step One.
    Nobody can stop me from taking Step One.

    As the oldtimers say, nothing changes if nothing changes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you convinced that you are powerless over alcohol - today? Do you have lingering doubts as to whether you are an alcoholic - today? If you feel you are harbouring some doubt you need to address this with your sponsor right away. I would point out that the 12&12 states that only the first part of step one can be "practised" 100% i.e., it does not say it can be done 100%. This suggests an ongoing, daily awareness is required. Do you have any doubts about your powerlessness over alcohol? Next part of step One, and here is the biggy - our inability to manage our own lives on our own resources. The Big Book says our drinking was only a symbol of an underlying problem. The 12&12 tells us the root problem is self-centeredness and selfishness. Further, this cannot be practised 100% - we can only work towards this realization. So, my friend, do you acknowledge that you cannot manage your own life on your own? Or, do you think you can do pretty good most times with a little help here and there?

    "To thine own self be true..."

    It is vital that you know whether you think you can manage your life OK on your own.

    Think deeply on these questions. Meditate on them; they are subtle and profound. There is an old adage which says the work will show you how. So, practising the steps, shows us how to do the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I am convinced I am powerless over alcohol today. If I meditate on it, I can feel my alcoholism physically residing within me; it's difficult to describe, like shadows lurking in my own cells. My alcoholism to me is--at times of low spiritual connection--a theoretical abstraction, which I remember I knew at one time to be absolutely true, and still believe it to be, and can sense its absoluteness, but as if from a distance, an image I see when I look up from my busy day. Alternately, when I make even the smallest effort toward self-honesty and what I consider to be prayer, my alcoholism is a stark physical and mental fact, an integral facet of my experience from one moment to the next. I remember that place, the place where the world seemed to drop out from under my feet and alcohol could no longer help--where I stared at a bottle of wine I'd pulled from my knapsack and I was so bone tired I just wanted to flop on my cousin's couch and sleep forever; it was with a mixture of incredulity and horror and panic that I realized no matter how tired I was, I would not be going to bed until that wine was gone. I was alone and knew I didn't want to drink it, really, but that I would not be able to help myself. At that point, and when I think about that point, that's where all the other moments--of disappointing myself and others with broken promises and regret and wasted effort and good (but weak) intentions--that's where all the moments seem to gather. Yes. I am convinced I am powerless over alcohol today.
    No, I do not have lingering doubts as to whether I am an alcoholic - today. Nor do I have any doubts about my powerlessness over alcohol. I know that one drink, even one sip, could lead me into oblivion, that all bets would be off, there would be no controlling or imagining what would come after, but I know that I would be getting my passport to the land of shame and remorse back very quickly.

    Can I manage my own life on my own resources? A good question, and not a very difficult one to answer today, because I have been--consciously or unconsciously--trying to manage all of my affairs, my proverbial hands on all the levers. It's uncomfortable, I'm making a mess of it, and I would like some help. No, I have proof several times over that I cannot manage life on my own.
    The spiritual principles I feel embodied within the steps: I don't think any one step involves exclusively one spiritual principle; each step is a marker in a spiritual evolution, and I think of the steps as cyclical, i.e. they do not stand alone. But I do see an outstanding spiritual principle at each step. I heard the H.O.W. principle of the program (Honesty, Openmindedness, Willingness) for the first time at treatment in 2001, and found it to really hold true, and to be a helpful acronym when remembering to "trust the process."

    ReplyDelete